- So what is the Fediverse?
- Why are people so excited about it?
- Okay, so how's it different?
- What's with this whole 'federation' thing?
- Good communities & not so good communities
- Community guidelines
- Big vs. Little
- I signed up! What do I do? How do I make friends?
- How do I find "my" club?
- "GLHF" is the nature of the Fediverse
We all recognize – well, most of us – that Twitter was a pretty rough place sometimes, and has gotten worse. We know that social media is training our brains to crave validation, and we know that the businesses who run these sites want us to stick around all day so they can show us ads.
People stick around, though. They want to talk about their lives. They want to see what their friends are doing. They'd like to gush about the movie they just saw, or describe their terrible experience. They want to call people to action when Something Needs Doing.
You can do all that on the Fediverse; it was made to connect people. And I'm going to try, as so many others have tried, to lay it all out for you – in a way that doesn't focus on the tech. If the words are with me, you might even get to the end and want to be a part of it.